Classical studies is the interdisciplinary study of the ancient Mediterranean world, particularly the civilizations of Ancient Greece and Rome. It encompasses a wide range of subjects, including:
- Literature: From epic poems like Homer’s Iliad and Odyssey to philosophical dialogues by Plato and Aristotle, classical literature offers a window into the thoughts, beliefs, and values of the ancient world.
- History: From the rise of Athenian democracy to the fall of the Roman Empire, classical history explores the political, social, and economic forces that shaped the ancient Mediterranean world.
- Philosophy: From the ethical inquiries of Socrates to the metaphysical investigations of Plato, classical philosophy grapples with fundamental questions about life, knowledge, and existence.
- Art and Archaeology: From the majestic temples of Athens to the intricate mosaics of Pompeii, classical art and archaeology provide insights into the artistic and material culture of the ancient world.
- Language: Studying ancient Greek and Latin, the languages of the classical world, opens up a direct connection to the primary sources of the ancient world.
- One of the main benefits of studying classical studies is that it provides a broad and deep understanding of the Western world. The Greeks and Romans laid the foundations for many of our modern concepts of democracy, philosophy, law, and art. By studying the ancient world, we can gain a better understanding of our own.
Classical studies powerpoint presentations
These have been submitted by teachers to help other teachers. They can be used freely and modified to your own preferred format.
Please submit any powerpoints at the bottom of this page.
Anything you have also produced to enable other teachers around the world to benefit will be highly appreciated.
Please submit any of your own powerpoints using the form below. It is very much appreciated.